"A diverse and compelling online resource that makes the city’s rich history accessible to everyone" - Who Do You Think You Are? magazine "For a wonderfully comprehensive chronicle of Grangetown history since those drunken monks turned up..." - Dan O'Neill - South Wales Echo
Grangetown Local History Society meets every
month in Cardiff in the Llynfi room at Glamorgan Archives, Leckwith on the first Friday of month (2pm-4pm). All are welcome
to come along, and bring photos and stories if you have them. Next
meeting: Friday 4th October 2019, 2pm.
Grangetown Local History Society holds its meetings at Glamorgan Archives in Leckwith. There is a carpark, there is also parking at the nearby Cardiff retail park close to Cardiff City FC. The No 1 city circle bus has a stop close to the Archive opposite the Cardiff Bus garage, with the bus running down Grange Gardens (13.30 and 14.00, eight minutes) via Corporation Road, Clare Road and Cornwall Street. The No 2 City Circle returns by the same route (15.23 and 15.59 outside the bus garage). Lifts from centre of Grangetown can be arranged via the chair and secretary.
Displays: The society displays photos, slideshows and audio memories at local community events and fairs, including the annual Grangetown Festival in June. It has also taken part in local and family history fairs and exhibited at the local library. Audio history: We are involved in an ongoing audio history project, collecting memories from Grangetown people of times and people in the past. If you would like to take part - home visits can be arranged - contact us below. We are particularly interested in hearing from people with connections to north Grangetown/Saltmead. Archive: We are always collecting photos and memories to build up our growing archive of Grangetown history. We are currently starting to digitise our archive and files of photos, which is quite a long term task. We are always interested in hearing from people with old photos. Even some old family photos can sometimes reveal something about the local area or a particular time. We can arrange to scan and return photos, as well as take digital copies. Thanks to the diligent work of society member Brenda John, the old files of documents and photos have been collated, sorted and properly archived and the Grangetown local history archive is now available to view online Grangetown and World War I and II: We created an online version of the Grangetown War Memorial, to mark the centenary of World War I. It involved researching the details of the men on the memorial - as well as other casualties with Grangetown connections who were not recorded. A separate website has been created - www.grangetownwar.co.uk and is being updated as the project progresses. We now have a book out, It Touched Every Street based on our research and telling the stories of the men and women who died. See below for more details. Research is under way on a similar project to mark the 80th anniversary of World War Two. Books: It Touched Every Street which tells the story of Grangetown's war memorial and the men and women who died in World War One was published in 2018. It is available for £ 14.99 from Wordcatcher Publishing, Amazon and via the society. A book Old Grangetown Memories Book Two was published in 2013. Copies are available on eBay. Old Grangetown Memories Book One was published in June 2011 and quickly sold out. There are two other books Old Grangetown Shops and Memories and Old Grangetown Memories Book Two which have also sold out but both should still available to borrow from the Central and Grangetown libraries. Due to changing fashions/costs, we no longer produce a calendar.
Visits: We undertake occasional visits - the next one is to Port Talbot transport museum on Wednesday 9th October. Others have included the Island Farm prisoner of war camp near Bridgend, Cardiff Museum, Glamorgan Archives, Margam Abbey, Risca Museum and the Cardiff Bay Barrage. Members have also joined in research projects involving the early history of Cardiff docklands and how it came about, with the Glamorgan Archive and Parlimentary archive.
Research starts for World War Two project
Following the success of our World War One centenary project, the society has started research for a project to mark the 80th anniversary of World War Two in Grangetown.
Bomb damage on the corner of Clive Street - corner of Ferry Road; click on the image to how it looks now.
As well as researching war casualties, the society also wants to tell stories of civilian experiences - from rationing, evacuation, life at school and in factories to air raids. We will also be telling stories of men and women who served. We will be collating memories we have already gathered with local people - but want to record more memories and details of family members who served in different capacities in the war.
The eventual aim is for an exhibition and a book to coincide with the anniversary of the Blitz in Cardiff - with Grangetown and Riverside the two worst hit areas in January 1941.
We already have details of 230 Grangetown casualties, including civilians, who died between 1939 and 1945. We may discover more. There is no list of names on the Grangetown war memorial, unlike for World War One, but we hope to create an online memorial to mark all those who died.
Anyone who has any family stories or casualty details or knows someone from Grangetown who remembers the war, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org or come along to our monthly meeting.
Society notes: September
The River Ely: Brenda John and Keith Fruin described the work that had been done to straighten out the River Ely off Ferry Road, prior to the construction (after 1969) of the municipal waste tip, Cardiff Bay Retail Park and eventually Grangemoor Park on the reclaimed tip site. Using maps and numerous photographs the meeting discussed the topic with some enthusiasm.
The History of the Bowles Family: Brendan Bowles, grandson of the founder of the sand dredging and gravel merchants described the history of the firm, which began in 1893 in Harrowby Street. Having successfully contracted to transport Portland stone for the civic centre (initially the National Museum building) it was given the contract for the dredging and production of sand and gravel. The company once had a fleet of 25 ships, some operating off the Continental coast. It was taken over by British Dredging. Mr Bowles is attempting to record the details of the company’s past and to produce a publication on his findings.
St Paul’s Church: Rita reminded us that the last funeral had been held in the church recently and works to convert part of it into apartments was beginning. Plaques recording the deaths of WW1 servicemen and women must be saved.
WW2 Project: A resume of the progress to date, with iterviews being undertaken and we are looking for any evacuees from Grangetown during the Cardiff Blitz as well as those who took part as ARPs and Fire Wardens.
Childhood games: Various members reminisced about games they played when children. Zena remembered one known as ‘Curb or Wall?’ whereas the chairman described what he called ‘Devil Up a Drainpipe’, involving mastering dangerous techniques to do with the furnace-like combustion of celluloid film and paper and the generating of strange noises. (One wise member warned that this trick ought not to be tried without Doug being present and he should light the fuse...)
Ebenezer Chapel 120th Anniversary: David Purchase from Ebenezer came along and distributed cards advertising the anniversary which will be throughout the weekend of October 5th-6th at the chapel in Corporation Road.
Committee business: Included discussion of the trip to a transport museum at Port Talbot; the storage of items including projector, camera, laptop; donation(s) to Glamorgan Archives. It was confirmed that the donation of £100 was being sent to the Archives and that this amount would be donated annually.
Death of Ray Shaw, 1937-2019
Ray on the left at a meeting a few years ago.
We have heard the sad news of the death of a founder member of the society, Ray Shaw, aged 81.
Ray was a member of Grangetown Baptist Church and an expert on its history and archive. With a family hailing from Hewell Street, he was a fount of knowledge about Grangetown people and its characters. He will be much missed - and was a regular at meetings from his home in Dinas Powys with his wife Margaret, despite bearing with a long-term illness over the last few years.
History society member and former chair Zena Mabbs said: "Ray was a staunch supporter of all our activities over the years until his illness prevented him from participating. He always helped to sell our annual calendars, and was present every year at the Grangetown Carnival, and supported our talks and presentations.
"We all valued immensely his knowledge of Grangetown and his wonderful ability to always be on hand to help anyone he could. Some of his Grangetown memories are preserved in one of our Grangetown books and in our oral history archive.
"His presence will be sadly missed by all of us who knew him for so many years," she added.
Ray had run a greengrocer's business in Barry Island before he retired. After a committal at Barry crematorium on Wednesday 17th July (11am), there will be a celebration of his life at Grangetown Baptist Church at 12.30pm. Donations to Parkinsons UK are requested instead of flowers. The society sends condolences to Margaret, his son and family.
Grangetown paupers history talk: Zena Mabbs, assisted by Don Gerrard (Cowbridge History Society), gave an illustrated talk on the paupers of Grangetown (click on the image above for a copy above of the presentation). Don covered the history of the poor and the legislation to deal with them, whilst Zena offered us fascinating details of Grangetown families who were on the paupers’ list, covering the principle streets in which they lived. Zena thanked Don, Aileen Thyer and the staff of the Archives for their help and support.
Meeting: 17 people attended.
Ray Noyes signs the handover document
Archive handover to Glamorgan Archives: Grangetown Local History Society is officially handing over the contents of its archives to Glamorgan Archives for safe-keeping. The idea is to ensure its continuing legacy and also to improve public access. The filing cabinets of photos and other documents are already kindly stored by the Archives in Leckwith, where the society holds its meetings. But this will ensure the contents are linked to the wider collection and also guarantee that they will be preserved for the future. The society's secretary Ray Noyes signed the handover document prior to the meeting. The donation includes our digital archive as well as the contents of our cabinets, all of which will now be conserved and catalogued. The archive remains our property.
Future of the Society: This topic was also discussed at our last meeting. A number of questions arose, principal amongst which were: (a) Are we a group that is seriously researching the history of Grangetown, or are we a group of people who meet because our personal histories just happen to stem from being born in or associated with the area?
(b) If the former, then shouldn’t each meeting address a specific history topic that has been researched, rather than (as now) being a rather large committee meeting discussing the business of the society?” (Shouldn’t the business of the society be discussed by an executive group at another time and place?)
There appears to be a limited number of options open to us as follows:
Option 1) Continue as we are, as an informal group of Grangetown friends, with the inevitable diminution in numbers as we age; Observations: This ‘do nothing’ option would see the demise of the Society.
Option 2) Transform society meetings so that each deals with a specific history topic, as in today’s meeting, making our meetings less like committee meetings - which ought to take place separately anyway. Observations: this solution requires many more members to undertake research and make presentations of their findings, and/or drawing up a comprehensive list of external speakers – with their associated costs, perhaps requiring us to charge a membership fee. If hiring external speakers, who will do it?
Option 3) Try and recruit new, younger members, by holding our meetings in a public place outside working hours. Observations: There would be costs involved in this too, which may require us to charge a membership fee and it would require diligent planning and organising – who will do it? It was felt that these days younger people are no longer interested in attending groups such as ours and would prefer using social media to maintain contact with others. There is so much of interest on line that we have to compete with it.
Option 4) Bearing in mind that the language of younger people is now the language of social media, shouldn’t we be speaking their language and consider a more active online presence such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook? Observations: We would face the problem of who would do this technical work and maintain it. There continues to be just a tiny number of members who do all the work, notably any research, so that any options requiring more effort should be judged in that light.
It was agreed to discuss this topic again once members had thought about it.
AOB: The chairman raised the issue of the Norwegian Church in Cardiff Bay and speculation about its future and involvement of a coffee chain.
WW1 Prisoner of War Letters: A small number of original letters from soldiers had been donated to us. They were passed around for inspection. They need to be conserved. Copies may be consulted in our Dropbox under 1914-18/Families. Copies will be made and we will ask Glamorgan Archives if they wish to conserve the originals, for safe keeping.
Queries: Helen has been handling emails and queries and she has had a warm thank you from Michelle Simmonds for the information she provided, and the help she gave in researching information for her husband and his father.
Sevenoaks Youth Club: A 1955 photograph of the Christmas party at this club has been donated to us. It may be seen in our Dropbox under ‘Cubs, Scouts, etc’.
Cardiff Dockworkers’ Strike, 1891: Mr Jerry Lyons has emailed us asking for information on the strike. When did it begin, did it end that same year and when did the meeting about the strike take place in the Pelican Club which once stood on Hope Street?
Ebenezer Chapel: Mr Purchase from the chapel attended the meeting. He pointed out that Ebenezer would be celebrating its 120th anniversary in October of this year. It was agreed that a suitable collaborative exhibition with the Society would be of interest to Grangetown residents.
DATES FOR THE DIARY:
Cardiff Castle: Brenda recommended members consider booking for history lectures at Cardiff Castle. The remaining dates and topics are: October 29th and 30th: ‘1939 and All That. Cardiff Castle in the 2nd World War.; November 4th and 5th: ‘Cardiff Castle and the Marquess of Bute’. (Book launch and celebratory lecture.) Tickets to these talks cost £8.50, available either through their web site cardiffcastle.com or by phone at 0333 666 44 66 Most take place in the Education Centre although the November ones may use the banqueting hall (no disabled access).
End of an era as Grangetown Cons Club closes its doors
Grangetown Conservative Club has closed its doors - just short of its 125th anniversary.
Julie Biggs has been stewardess since 2012. Pictured with committee member Mario Felices and Terry Woodroff, treasurer and acting chairman.
The club has been in its current home in Corporation Road, close to Grange Gardens, for more than 110 years. Grangetown Local History Society heard of its imminent demise a few weeks ago, and went along to take a few photographs, as well as receiving some archive material.
The original "Grangetown Conservative Workingmens Club" was founded in May 1894, on the corner of Holmesdale Street and Ferry Road. Previously it had been the location for a local rope manufacturers.
The association had been set up in the year before - described as a "rallying call for Grangetown working men", with membership numbers rising in that time from 60 to 300. Subscription back in those first days was four pennies a year and the chairman was Sidney Herbert Nicholls, at the time living in Pentrebane Street.
A drawing of the original club - and William Baird, who was steward of the club with his wife Alice in the 1930s and 1940s.
A committee photo from 1936. Back row left to right: E Addicott, FD Bradford, JW Bryant, JH Robson, H Smale, JE Townsend, W Long, AJ Cusse and PE Jeans. Front row: W Roberts, FS Moore (treasurer), LW Mountjoy (secretary), H Sheppard (chairman), T Llewellyn (vice chairman) and J O'Brien.
By 1908, it had moved to Corporation Road - its present home. The old building back in Ferry Road was later converted into flats in the early 1930s and then bombed during the war.
Rugby photo preserved
A rare photo of a Grangetown rugby team winning a trophy nearly a century ago has been partially restored and placed in our archive.
The photo was bought from eBay but was in a poor state and disintegrating but has now been patched up and preserved by staff at Glamorgan Archive.
It shows Cardiff Gas Athletic RFC - the Grangetown gasworks team - who won the Mallett Cup in 1922-23. They beat Cardiff Welsh 11-5 at Cardiff Arms Park, after losing the final the previous year. The Cardiff and District rugby cup competition is the second oldest in the world and this is the only time the gasworks side won it.
It has special significance to one of our members, Keith Fruin, whose grandfather Arthur Fish - a war veteran and also ex-Cardiff City footballer - played in the game. Keith has his medal from that game but had never seen a photo before. Arthur, a carpenter who was a sporting all-rounder, also played baseball for the works side until in his 50s.
The team line-up: P Sullivan (trainer), J Snell, A Keay (vice capt), W Snell, W Silver, T Donovan, W Davies, HS Bartlett (Sec)
P Roach, A Giles, RP Jones, A Brockway (capt), A Fish, R Podd, TAL Richards
I Dunscombe, R Wyatt
Grangetown archive catalogued
Click on the image above to view the catalogue.
The documents and photos of old Grangetown collected by the history society over the years have finally been catalogued and properly archived.
The growing archive, made possible from donations and copies of originals, has been kept in filing cabinets by the society.
Thanks to the diligent work led by society member Brenda John, the bulk of the old files have been collated, sorted and properly archived and the Grangetown local history archive is now available to view online and also downloadable in Excel format
This version has already been updated - and will continue to be so as the archive and the project progresses. We hope to link to some of the images we are storing digitally in the future. It will be really useful for local people researching aspects of Grangetown or their family's history.
Grangetown history fact sheets
Ray Noyes, society secretary, and Zena Mabbs have been involved in producing some fact sheets on aspects of Victorian Lower Grangetown. Another has now been added by Ray on the building of some of Grangetown's churches and chapels and Steve has contributed one on the history of The Grange pub to mark its re-opening and 160th anniversary, while Zena and Ray have put together the presentation on Penarth alabaster, which is a feature of so much local architecture.
These have been created to print off - and have been handed out at recent meetings - and now we're starting to put some of them up on the website here, for wider interest. Click on the images above to download the PDFs . The second fact sheet on street names has been reproduced instead as a webpage here, as it is too large a document to download.
Click here for archived Grangetown Local History Society news and more photos
|The Society was founded in 1995 and has a committee; there is no membership fee and it is open to anyone who has an interest in local history, particularly, living, working or having been born or brought up in Grangetown. Doug Knight - chairman; Email: email@example.com Michelle Derby-Charles and Helen Stradling - email queries; secretary - Ray Noyes; treasurer - Alan Collier. The society cannot undertake family history research but member Aileen Thyer has offered to help with limited requests, where time allows - queries email: firstname.lastname@example.org Websites: grangetownhistory.co.uk and grangetownwar.co.uk Postal address for mail order or to send photographs (please include your details): Grangetown Local History Society c/o 28 Llanmaes Street, Grangetown, Cardiff CF11 7LQ|